Monday, January 17, 2005

NYC

I could talk about Singing Forest right now, but I don't think I'm ready to talk about that yet, so instead I'll give a simple weekend review.

I went with Carleton to New York to visit his friend, Mike. I hadn't been to the city since the 6th grade, and that trip mostly involved me scurrying to keep up with my dad and uncle, occasionally gazing at the tall buildings because that's what I figured tourists were supposed to do.

It was a nice train ride from Milford (which is just near where I work, and has free parking on the weekends for their station, woo!). Mike's apartment is in the Upper West side of Manhattan and is quite nice. Friday night we went to the planetarium for some music-and-show-off-computer-rendering deal. 'Twas nice.

The next day we went to get bagels, at some place that Carleton spouts is the best bagel place in the WORLD!!! (Just tasted like normal bagels to me, perhaps my palette for bagels is just not sophisticated). The main mission of the day was to help Mike buy a betta. I wish I'd brought my camera so I can add Rocky's picture to the growing list of "Friend's Bettas".

That night we went and saw Carleton's Cousin play a set at some club/bar place. His music is very good, and we'd seen him play at a coffee shop in CT last weekend. This time he was with a band, and it was a very lively set.

We then retired to Mike's apartment and watched City of God, a very powerful and awesome movie. Mike's mom is from Brazil, and used to teach in the City of God, and apparently said that the movie is quite accurate as far as how things are there. The individual story is very uplifting, but the truthfulness of the situation is rather depressing.

Overall, a very nice visit. It's much more pleasant to visit the city when you are with people who know how to get around.

No comments: