Saturday, June 16, 2007

Reading

The library at work was giving away free books that they were taking out of circulation, mostly copies of Gone with the Wind and Taming of the Shrew. I read Gone with the Wind in high school, and I remember not enjoying it, but mostly because I was 15 years old and being forced to read it, and you know how that goes. I thought that now that I'm a grown-up and reading it of free will I may enjoy it better, not to mention that I'm always looking for huge books to sustain my ravenous reading pace.

I will say that I am enjoying it much more the second time around, though Scarlett O'Hare remains in top numbers on my list of "Most Easily Disliked Characters in Fiction." I think the difference is that this time I am able to draw myself back a bit and look at the context, and find the ironies here and there. I mean, I still want to reach into the book and wring her neck, but rather than just being annoyed at the stupid main character I am able to look at it from a wider perspective.

So yes, I'll let my brain chomp on this book for awhile, once I get back into school I may not have the luxury of time to read for fun, so I'll enjoy it while I can.

In other news, James helped me re-secure the rack on my bike today. Accomplishment!

No comments: