Thursday, November 27, 2008

I has a hunger

Let's be honest. For a long time now, I've been scraping by on other people's consoles, nibbling at new video games as a good-natured jackal might nibble bites of other kills, and have been happy doing so. I've sustained myself as such since, well, since Halo, I suppose, and fun times on the XBox back at Rhodes 2 in undergrad. There have been a smattering of purchases here and there, but for the most part I've been scavenging. It's been frugal living, and for a long time it's been quite an acceptable means for me to absorb enough gaming to keep myself going. However, things have been changing. I've grown hungry to own my own games again, and to feed off of my own consoles. With the recent wave of November releases, I become restless and jealous every time I read a twitter or a status update about some such game that some such person has been enjoying. It makes me twitchy and antsy and fuels a desperate hunger to play and learn and consume and shove games into my brain as I do so often with books. Can I hold out against this craving? Should I? I haven't felt this way, really, since back when I purchased my Playstation 1 in high school, which is pretty much when I began sustaining my gaming crave with my own money. It began in a similar way...I remember scraping by on the consoles of friends, playing what I could on visits, and slowly growing hungrier. Then Spyro the Dragon came and I was like "okay, that's it," and I happily devoted the meager income of a high school student to support my gaming hobby in full with a fresh new console. I suppose, if I'm going to be a game designer, I could write off the investment cost as research and not worry about it. Still, it's so much money! Even if I became a devoted GameFly user, I still have to get the consoles and a TV to play them on. I think the best happy medium would be to take advantage of the ETC library and lounge in the time I have left, but students on co-op can't borrow games from the library, so I'd have to have someone else get them for me. It is not quite the same, I know, but it might help sate my appetite for a bit longer. We shall see!

No comments: