Making some soup tonight! It turned out really yummy last time I tried this variation, so I'm writing it down this time. This makes a big ole pot, but could easily be halfed.
- olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 or 6 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 garlic gloves, minced
- 1 bunch chard, stalks chopped and leaves cut in strips
- 2 potatoes, cut into chunks
- 2 cups of beef stock*
- 2 cups lentils
- 1 teaspoon of ground thyme
- 2 Tablespoons of apple cider vinegar (or your favorite flavored vinegar)
1) Heat olive oil in a large pot. Add onions and carrots and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant.
2) Add stock, lentils, chard stalks, potatoes, thyme, and 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook for 15 minutes
3) Add chard leaves, cook for 15-20 more minutes, until lentils are tender.
4) Add vinegar, salt and pepper to taste. Serve!
*for Burbank folk, I made my beef stock out of the bones from the giant beef ribs at the Handy Market Saturday BBQ. It is really good.