Saturday, July 10, 2004

Dream

I usually don't write about dreams but, eh, it was an interesting, thought-provoking one.



So first, some background. I'll let you know when I get to the dream, but this part is actually real.

When I was little, my grandma lived next door to some people who had a wolf hybrid. I was too young to understand what the word "hybrid" meant, so when visiting I'd often ask to be taken over to visit "The Wolf." (who had a name, I just could never recall it). The people kept him in a pen in their backyard. I don't recall them ever letting him out of the pen, because they were in a fairly urban area. But I was way too little to formulate any opinions or coherent thoughts about proper facilities and care for wolf hybrids.

Anyway, I would go over and stand at the door of the pen, and I remember The Wolf being really really big, like almost as tall as me, and very very calm. And he would come over to the door and look at me, and I would look at him, and I would hold up my hand and he would sniff it a little, and then look at me some more. I remember his eyes being really intelligent and sad, and thinking "wow, must be a bummer to have to stay in a pen all the time, even Bruno (my grandma's dog) gets let out of his pen to run around the yard a bit." It made me feel very small that I was unable to do anything about it. Anyway, on my visits with The Wolf, I would pretend to have conversations with it and such.

But that was a long time ago, and I actually had never thought about it up to now, because....

(this is where the dream starts)

I dreamt about The Wolf last night. I can't recall if I was a little kid in my dream or the way I am now, probably somewhere in between. Realizing that I hadn't even *thought* about the Wolf until that instant, I said "Oh! I remember you!" And he looked at me the same way he had when I was little, intelligent and sad, and I felt the same way, small and unable to do anything. I don't recall that The Wolf was in his pen, though.

That's all it was, very simple, but kind of fascinating to me to dredge up an old memory of The Wolf (who was probably almost entirely dog, but hey, he was a wolf in my little-kid mind). Thoughts thoughts thoughts

No comments: