Tuesday, August 12, 2008

End-o-summer

This is an abridged cross-post of one of my mailing list postings. Hope the repeats don't mind!

So, last Friday was my last day at Insomniac, and there were many tears upon my departure (mostly shed by me, of course). Before we left, Ted took the interns to lunch as a farewell and so we could ask him any lingering questions. One thing he asked each of us was, "What is the biggest thing you'll be taking back with you from your summer at Insomniac?"


For me, the answer is confidence. I am SO much more confident in my abilities as a designer than I was when I first decided to go the game design track. I know I can do this, and I know that making games is the thing I want to do. I also feel like I have a better understanding of the scope of my talents and how much of an asset I am to other people. It's always been something I've had a hard time recognizing in myself.

I can't wait until the game comes out this fall! I was talking with Drew about how I'd be curious to see how much of the level would be recognizable to me in the end (after all, there is much iteration to be done on the work I've done, and I spent the last week passing off my work to another designer to take over after I left). Drew smiled at me and said that the whole thing would probably be quite recognizable :)

I also learned that I will get a free copy of the game when it ships! Sweet! If only they'd give me a free PS3, ha ha ha. I'm definitely going to have to drop the money to buy a PS3. I mean, I'm not only excited to just see my level, but I'm excited about the game as a whole! It's going to be so much fun!

Sigh, I'll miss my designers, and I'll miss Insomniac, but this was a summer well-spent, for sure! One fun thing: Insomniac's community person interviewed me about my internship to post on their news blog. You can check it out here:

http://insomniacgames.com/news/news.php


I'm still in LA at the moment, spending the week at SIGGRAPH. There's a lot of ETC people around, and it's been pretty casual. It's a nice, relaxing way to close out my time in California.

Wish me safe travels on my cross-country drive at the end of the week!

No comments: