Monday, October 7, 2002

Have you ever had to make up your mind?

I have a big decision to make, so let's make it.

The situation:
I am currently listed as an art major and computer science minor. My plans up to this point have been to go on and double major in both, since I can get in the comp sci classes okay. Well, I could've, until Dr. Bitensky decided to try and put together a winter term trip to Morocco...

The decision
Do I go ahead and get my comp sci major, or do i settle for a minor and study abroad in Morocco for the short winter term next year?

The gut responses
-mmm...but a comp sci major would help for my future career
-I might be going to Germany next year, would that be too much abroad time?
-would I disappoint my parents or would they be all for me adventuring off?

The cold hard facts
-Bitensky needs at least 25 students to express interest in the trip before he can get it okayed
-the trip will cost me $2800
-I've already been abroad once in my college career so far
-I will have no trouble finishing my art major, it's practically finished already, but I need to take comp sci every term from here on out to get a major.
-missing the winter term next year would not affect my ability to get my comp sci minor

The pluses and minuses
-It's Morocco. How many other times in my life am I going to get to go to Morocco?
-I would be missing my major by like one class. Having two majors definately would've been an advantage

Other possibilities
-this may not even be an issue, he could not get enough interest and the trip could never happen
-hey, there's always that 5th year senior option ^_^
-maybe I could talk to my professors and arrange something where I could pull both off!

Current Actions
-I need to talk to my parents about this, i've already emailed my brother to ask his opinion.
-I need to talk to my comp sci professor, because those will be the missed classes concerned
-I'll talk to Sheldon, because Sheldon can fix anything (yay Sheldon!)
-I'll ask for input, from YOU GUYS!!

The decision is looking in favor of Morocco, but that may be because I'm still experiencing some residual excitement and day dreaming about the idea. So, what say you?

No comments: