Wednesday, October 8, 2003

Slacker

Amidst a busy week I am graced with a block of free time, and I'm so startled that I don't know what to do with it. In keeping with my goal to be on top of everything by fall break, I've been very productive and have been getting a lot of work done. It's surprising and satisfying, but at the same time, I'm a little discouraged with myself.

I have had nearly an hour to myself before load-in, and what do I do? Sit and idle. Maybe it's just because I need rest, but I can't help feeling like I'm neglecting all the important yet un-urgent things in my life. It would be a perfect time to pull one of those doodles from my notebooks (which I do frantically each day to keep up my drawing) and turn it into a finished work, or go and paint on my own, or start building a Halloween costume. Instead, I'm laying and staring at the ceiling, not even napping.

It wouldn't be so bad if my mind would quit drifting back to the conversation I had with Carleton about the product of a fortune cookie taped to the paper towel dispenser in the painting area of the art barn that says "Idleness is the holiday of fools" to me every time I wander past.

Then again, it could be my body's way of telling me to be still for a moment.

In more lively news, the chickens-to-be have been securely incubated, and I count them every chance I get ^_^

No comments: