Thursday, November 27, 2003

For Really Real Life

Another tasty Thanksgiving dinner complete. Hooray! It's always nice to see my family, especially since I'm in school and don't get to see them much. In spite of all my fears about graduating, today I've been feeling pangs of want to be out of school. I want to clean out my room and Stuff Collection and sort and throw things out. I want to clean the basement and set up a workplace down there. I want to go through things, and see what can be given away. All these things would take a longish, extended-stay-at-home time that I've been craving for awhile, though.

Talking to the puppet folk at UConn left me in high spirits, but I'm certainly going to have to spend a good amount of time, a year at the very least, building a portfolio. Whether I do this by getting a related job (John Hickman worked for a puppet place in Tennessee for a year and suggested I check it out) or working on my own (can't wait for Dave and Brendan's combined playwriting efforts to complete, wee!) I do not know.

There are all these looming things about my student loans if I don't go straight to grad school, and I'm going to have to find some way of supporting myself in the meantime. I've considered looking into places that need digital image database work done, since that is the sort of work I've been doing for the college's slide library. Just have to find a place with a need, I suppose.

At any rate, I'm not as panicky as before. I would fret and fret about my senior show, and Sheldon would comfort me not to worry too hard about it (but his method of doing this was pointing ahead to post-graduation, which I should spend more time worrying about) but I've stumbled upon something that could make for a good exhibit. So no, though I've made at least 5 glass armadillos, that certainly won't be my senior show (it was a good method of clearing my mind), color fade vases might be the right direction.

I still have much to meddle with and figure out, but I think things are going to be okay. It's just that, after spending your whole life looking ahead to these very short significant time slots--grade school to high school, high school to college--looking ahead and seeing "the rest of your life" waiting ahead is rather indimidating. At least I'm not in the boat alone.

In lighter news, some friends from high school are visiting tomorrow, and I am very excited to see them all. It's been a year since I last saw any of them, and I'm looking forward to catching up.

Happy Thanksgiving, all!

No comments: