Sunday, February 22, 2004

Lent

I always forget about Lent since I've been in college. It was easy to remember going to a Catholic gradeschool and highschool, because you'd be like "oh, it's Lent!" But not having reminders in college I'd go through half of March thinking "Why are they always serving fish on Fridays? That's unusu......ohhhhhh."

Anyway, entirely regardless of religion, I think any period of making a material sacrifice can be an enriching experience if you have the right mindset.

So this year for Lent (since I remembered it), I'm going to give up extraneous internet, which will be a huge challenge, but I think I can pull it off. The terms defining "extraneous" are as follows.

1. I'll still use it for research, because I can't get around that, but no leisurely browsings of forums, art sites, chats, Homestarrunner, etc. I'll probably accomplish this by doing most of my internet research in labs, which provides an environment in which I feel like I have to be doing real work.

2. I'll keep instant messenger open to people at school and family who may need to contact me for school or family-related business, but otherwise no IM

3. No LJ, neither friends list readings nor updates. The exception is I'll probably be auctioning off glass to get money to pay for that color, so I'll likely post a link to the auction as an update.

I think that mostly covers things. This process will have an additional benefit, in that hopefully it will force me to focus more on school and post-gradauation planning, which is always very heavy in March. So, if anyone has a drastically important need to contact me, do it by Mardi Gras (that's Tuesday). I'll probably do an update Tuesday night.

No comments: