Monday, June 2, 2003

the Brendan Phenomenon

Based on some of Jeff's stories, the Berkshire Theatre Festival seems to have a history of lengthy summer prank wars. I think I just experienced a first strike of sorts.

Theater people, especially tech people, always baffle me with the supplies of tools they seem to have instant access to. So, when I woke up at 4:30 this morning to the sound of drilling in the hall, I wasn't overly surprised.

I wandered out into the hallway in my pajamas, only to find the Master Carpenter screwing sheets of plywood in front of my neighbor's door. He seemed quite startled at being found out, but I think I sleepily shook my fist and muttered something along the line of "Pesky carps and their confounded pranks!" and went back to bed, unconcerned that my neighbors were now boarded up inside their own room.

This brings me to a new addition to a strange phenomenon in my life, the Brendan series. I knew two Brendans before this summer. The first Brendan was my Kempo instructor back in Louisville, who was inadvertently poetic and insightful, if not a bit silly, and was a great teacher. The second was our very own Brendan Adkins, a multitalented and very close friend of mine. Now a third Brendan has been added to my series, one who boards up his crew in their own rooms in the dead of the night. I'm considering referring to him as #3, to avoid confusion in conversation with all the Brendans I seem to be acquiring.

Anyway, things are going well. We had a day off yesterday, but I don't think I'll have another for a good long while. No matter, I'm still having fun.

No comments: