Internet, you're so good at giving advice! I'm just going to keep on thinking out loud.
So I've hit my first brick wall in the adoption process. I asked my landlord about the process for doing the pet deposit (he's known there'd be a chance I would adopt a dog since last spring) and he sent me the paperwork.
The pet agreement has a section on specifically prohibited breeds, one of which is the pit bull. It also prohibits any dogs mixed with any of the listed breeds. Drat!
Now, my first course of action is to see if this is negotiable. We've had a really good relationship with our landlord since moving to this house (the last time he came in to fix something he emailed us complimenting us and thanking us for keeping the house so nice). I also know that these sorts of blanket statements over stereotyped breeds are only to protect the landlord; if I had an aggressive dog and it bit someone, the landlord could be held responsible as well as me (the other prohibited breeds listed are pretty classic: doberman, rottie, german shepherd, husky, etc.)
The shelter requires me to bring in all of my roommates to meet the dog and make sure everything is square, so I'd like to ask if the breed restriction is negotiable and propose that the landlord come along as well to meet the dog. I also have a few other things working in my favor...
- I've volunteered at this shelter and worked with this dog specifically, so I'm already familiar with the dog
- I only have about 4 more months living at this place. Even if I stay in Pittsburgh after I graduate, I'll be moving to a different place, so it's a pretty short term to have the dog in the house.
- I would be crate training and keeping the dog limited to the first floor of the house
- The dog is 4 years old, so less fear of puppy-keeping destructive woes.
Even still, I want to word my email to him in the most positive way I can without sounding accusatory or overbearing, so I may need some help looking over drafts.
If, after this, the answer is still a resounding "no," I have a few options left. One is to find a pit-friendly place to sublet for the rest of my stay in Pittsburgh, which would be a pretty crazy and stressful ordeal. The other is just to hold out and hope that Minnow doesn't get adopted out from under me, then get him when I graduate.
I'll cross those bridges when they come, though. As always, any tips on the matter are always welcome!