Thursday, September 12, 2002

Facial Feedback Hypothesis

Since I alone make up the painting III class this term, I'm being bombarded with independent projects left and right. Whereas the painting II kids are doing an extended self portrait, I have chosen to do an extended self portrait smiling.

You see, anyone who's tried a self portrait knows that their default expression is "concentration," and it just so happens that my "concentration" face is also the same as my "demonic possession going to eat your soul" face. This is a hinderance because, in spite of what anyone may tell you, I'm not a demonic soul-eater from day to day.

So I thought, dammit, I'm going to make a portrait of myself smiling for once, maybe I'll have an easier time making it look like me. It seemed just the challenge (painting someone smiling is rather difficult to pull off). Well, after a rough, preliminary painting sketch tonight, I've found that not only am I more recognizable, but smiling the whole time also has beneficial side effects. I'M IN SUCH A GOOD MOOD!!!

Here I was dreading and whining having to go paint tonight, and instead, I'm all cheerful and skipping-round like. This project is going to be the most enjoyable one yet. Hooray for loosely proven psychological hypotheses! Hooray!

No comments: