Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Adventure Time!

I am so excited about our next Game Design assignment!

The assignment is to run a one-shot adventure game session using a very simplified D&D-derived ruleset. Many people in the class have never played a table-top roleplaying game before, so they created groups based on experience. The assignment is in association with studying the challenges of interactive storytelling.

I'm considered the "expert" of my group, and so have to run my one-shot first, so that others may follow my example. Pressure! I haven't DMed a game in ages, but I think I've learned a lot I can use from the most recent games I've played in.

This should be a ton of fun, and I'm thinking back to some of the Nobilis one-shots we did in the past for ideas on how to run a good, condensed story. However, it's been awhile since I've used the D&D ruleset; my mind is still fresh with Nobilis and Dogs in the Vineyard.

First thing's first, time to think up a fun story. For you, internets, if you've played a tabletop rpg one-shot that you really enjoyed, share the experience? What was fun about it? What did you like better or worse than a campaign over an extended period of time? Tips? Tricks? Advice? Ideas?

No comments: