Wednesday, February 20, 2008

I am a Game Designer

This morning at GDC, I made a career change.

Now, don't misunderstand, this wasn't an on-the-fly decision. It's something that's been bubbling and building for a couple of months now. Last night, Tracy and Andy tipped me over the edge by suggesting I would probably get the most out of a design internship this summer versus any other type.

This morning I went to talk about High Impact's production process, given by one of their lead designers. I had a moment of recognition that truly, I was sitting on the wrong side of the court. After the session, I plopped down, pulled out my laptop, nudged Jesse online and said "I think that maybe I should be looking for a design internship and not a production internship."

He responded, "I think you might be right." I could almost hear him smirking through the internet, the knowing smirk of someone who's known this about me for a good while, but was nudging and waiting for me to figure it out on my own.

Commitment! I spent the next couple of hours sitting on the floor of the convention center, frantically rewording my website and reworking my resume. Andy stopped by between sessions to sit with me and help revise my resume. Jesse stopped by to sit with me for support. A smattering of other ETCers stopped by to see what I was up to, and when I relayed my sudden career change, responded with, "Well, DUH!"

Why does everyone else figure these things out about me before I do?? Nevertheless, the changes were made, and I'm ready to hit the Career Expo tomorrow with my new goal. Huzzah!

Other highlights today included a big Bandology lunch (with past and present members alike), then a session given by Bungie on Matchmaking in Halo 3. It was extremely informative, though now I have Fiddler in the Roof stuck in my head.

Now I'm chillin and waiting for my my mentor, such that we can go adventure at Ubisoft. Huzzah!

No comments: