Monday, February 11, 2008

Assassin's Creed

Amidst all the scrambling work for Bandology and Game Design, I have had moments of rest from time to time. On Saturday I took to watching Joe play Assassin's Creed for a good part of the afternoon. I played a bit myself, but preferred to watch (I think there is some inherent Little Sister gene in me that lends itself to pleasantly watching someone else play a game).

I really like the game, of what I've seen. Its approach to stealth, what with hiding in plain sight and blending in socially, makes it a few points closer to true stealth arts than any other stealth game I've seen. I appreciate this very much. It's also pretty and engaging and makes you feel like a badass.

The weird, matrixy, modern-present/memory-past scenario is a little off-putting and puzzling, but I like how they use it to explain away anachronisms you experience in the memory world. It was a very clever means of keeping a consistent world, I thought.

I'm not sure when Joe will have another chance to play, as GDC looms on the horizon, and after that we'll be in crunch for pretty much the rest of the semester. Alas, such is life.

No comments: